Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What'd I miss? Compilation edition.

I've missed so many new posts, ack!

I missed most of the late night shenanigans and tomfoolery because I was sleeping.  If I don't get at least 6 hours of sleep I'm a zombie, and I had to wake up early most mornings for work stuff.  In retrospect, zombie mode beats the hell out of next-day regret.

I missed participating in the Deep Sea WiFi Temperance Brigade.  I'd  just been assigned to a new project and it seemed bad form to disappear at that point.   By about Tuesday I was sort of bitter about having to sign/call in every day, and it colored most of my mornings a hazy gray.  Lesson learned for jccc2:  it's my vacation.  I've earned it, and I deserve it.  All the other stuff can pound sand.  (big words now, right?)

I missed The Bombing of the Nick because I was sleeping.   In many years I've never seen the guy tipsy, and I missed out on what sounded like a fabulous opportunity. 

I missed taking a trip to the spa -- nothing to blame for this other than my own inertia.

I missed my daily intended intake of 2 pina coladas.  This will be rectified the next time. 
 
I missed meeting at least 150 of you.  This will also be rectified.

Many of these lead me to "What'd I learn?" -- may have to flesh some of those out for a future posting.

5 comments:

  1. I went to the spa, and to try to maybe assuage any feelings of regret ... It solidified my thought that maybe I shouldn't go to the spa on a cruise ship.

    But then, I was a massage therapist for five years, three of which were spent in upscale spas, so I am super, super, super picky.

    My massage was nice and all, but after days and days of drinking and rich food, I wound up feeling kind of gross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's The Bombing of the Nick? Apparently I also missed it.

    I didn't even think about the spa or pina coladas, but I had expected to swim every day, since I love swimming. It turned out there were too many other awesome things to do than to avail myself of normal cruise amenities.

    I actually made a 'What'd I learn' list at some point, but I don't know where I put it. It went something like this:

    1) Not to book early-morning shore excursions, or any shore excursions unless there's something particularly cool I want to do. On a JoCo cruise, the fun stuff is not on-shore and it's not in the early morning unless the schedule says it is.
    2) Several games
    3) The Macarena
    4) Why everybody has a man-crush on Mike Phirman
    5) Not to be late to JoCo karaoke, even if it means sacrificing dessert.

    I'm happy to say I did not learn anything such as 'make sure my camera battery is charged before going to a concert' or 'make sure my memory cards are empty' or 'make sure my camera is not going to fall off a balcony' or 'make sure that the camera is not in time-lapse mode before hitting record' or 'stop and restart recording at a convenient time before the camera reaches the 4GB file size limit' because apart from the balcony one, I'd already learnt all those lessons at previous shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bombing of Nick involved sake and what the bar at the center of the boat called a Wang Wang (an unholy combination of alcohols). I don't think any of us there would have been any the wiser if Aileen hadn't told us about his thoroughly-pickled state the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tracy, that actually does soothe the spa guilt a bit. That, and the part where they beat you vigorously with the bamboo sticks.

    Maria summed up the Bombing of Nick quite nicely -- I was feeling a little tummybleh that night, so after a cup of tea I retired to the shoebox, only to be awakened by a usually stonefaced man giggling like a teenage girl after a Twilight movie. He then crawled into bed, and immediately started snoring mid-giggle. The next day he tried to downplay it, but the Portlanders filled me in.

    I learned many of the same lessons as you, Angela -- especially the Phirman one. But now I have to add "the macarena" to my "what'd I miss" list.

    I had two pina coladaesque things at dinner tonight, trying to retroactively fill my quota. Tasty, but it just wasn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learnt the Macarena on the Thursday night at the Northern Lights disco; I was doing the only dance I knew (the chicken dance) to an appropriately inappropriate tune, so Molly started doing the Macarena, which I had to admit to not knowing. So she taught me, and just when I thought I had it down, a few other people came along to explain which steps we were doing wrong.

    Actually, if anyone has a video of us doing the Macarena, I wouldn't mind seeing it. That was fun.

    'Snoring mid-giggle' is the name of my Captain's Wife's Lament marathon team.

    ReplyDelete