Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Da Six-Fingered Mon: If Count Rugen Were Jamaican

Hello, I'm Angela, and muahahaha, I now have access to post on this blog! Taking over the world will soon follow (you can tip me later.) I drew this JoCo Cruise Crazy/The Princess Bride crossover comic:


You're probably all Sea Monkeys, so I don't need to explain as much here as I did when I posted this on my blog. But if you are not familiar with The Princess Bride, you might want to watch these clips. I decided that Westley would say Fezzik's line in the last panel so that I could make the others say 'Shut up, Westley!'

If you missed the Q&A session, you might also want to watch this video from about 19:48 onwards. Credit to Kevin Murphy for the idea of braided beards, although I'd already thought of it about ten minutes before he said it. There's also a quote from My Monster in there, which I missed half of and must get around to watching on YouTube.

It's not that I didn't enjoy Jamaica at all. Jamaica was the low point of the cruise in the same sense that the perigee of the International Space Station is a low point.

By the way, I’m perfectly aware that the characters are standing in mid-air or on a railing in the first two frames, and Count Rugen changes colour in subsequent frames. If I’d had a better photo with ‘Welcome to Ocho Rios’ on it, and any illusions of being able to draw well, and an iPad app that kept the current colour between documents, I might have tried to fix that. Instead, I stuck with what I had drawn on a leisurely evening with my iPad in a cafĂ©-bookshop.

Also, I can’t remember whether the touristic signs in Jamaica used ‘Da’ or ‘De’ for ‘the’, and the wikipedia articles on Jamaican English and Jamaican patois don’t seem to say one way or the other. I suspect there is no official spelling. So I went with ‘Da’ in the title of this post; if that’s not correct, I’d love to hear why.

2 comments:

  1. "Jamaica was the low point of the cruise in the same sense that the perigee of the International Space Station is a low point."

    This is my favorite sentence of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that is fantastically well put. Though if one more Jamaican had called me Moses and explained that bearded people were all called Moses, I may have lost it.

    ReplyDelete