Monday, January 10, 2011

Posts from friends

The recollections are already rolling in from fans and "the talent." Here's a few of the ones I've been reading. More updates will follow as I see more posts:

***

Let's start with the big thank you from Joco himself, Mr. Jonathan Coulton, who says:

"Of course all of the performers were wonderful, as I knew they would be. I was delighted to watch some of you hear and see a few of them for the first time, but it was even more exciting to watch them meet YOU. Everyone felt welcomed and loved, and I was not surprised, because that’s how you make me feel all the time no matter how much I suck (witness: you loudly applauded the very worst performance of The Presidents I have ever done)."

Read the full writeup

I can't imagine anyone had as much fun as me and my fellow fans did on this cruise, even (or perhaps especially) the performers. But it's easy and gratifying to be nice to people who are already being nice to you!

***

Stephen Toulouse promises an epic writeup, which begins with this post:

"Never mind that many of the fans (and performers) had never been on a cruise before, never mind that many of the fans (and performers) either explode or broil in direct sunlight, never mind that Internet access would be sketchy and expensive at best, and never mind that everyone had to not only pay for the cruise but also get all the way out to Florida and back.

"And just about 400 people did indeed say: Never mind all that."

Read part one here

We had seen Stepto at w00tstock and looked forward to getting to know a bit more about him. We were delighted by the selection from his new book, A Microsoft Life, and bought it immediately when we got home.

***

Famous Tracy, who became a real friend (and remembered the "little people" like us) during the cruise also posted a teaser on her impressions of the cruise:

"Anticipating a quiet, relaxing vacation, I was expecting to lie around on a giant ship, eat some good food, be entertained by some of my very favorite entertainers, meet some nice nerds at dinner or whatever, and maybe get to say hi to some of the famous people.

"What I got was that turned up to 11."

Keep reading here

I'm not sure if my geek out over How Stuff Works on the first day helped form the idea of "Famous Tracy," but I'm going to take credit for it.

***

Finally, a nice writeup from Virginia Corbett, lovely wife of Bill Corbett:

"I had real conversations with people I've admired for years (one in particular since I was 12 years old), and got to meet their amazing families. I met new friends and grew real connections. Thank you so much, Jonathan, Paul and Storm, Liz, the Universe, for putting this all together."

Read more here

I don't think any of us can say it better. Thank you everyone who made this possible: Thanks to my new friends, my new obsessions, and my new outlook on life. Keep the blog posts coming. As long as we can reminisce, it won't be over!

2 comments:

  1. I'm watching the twitter stream #jococruisecrazy, but if I miss any write-ups, send me a message @mariafi on twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My whole theory of "if I pretend I am famous, I can surely talk to these famous people" definitely came from people geeking out when I said I worked at HowStuffWorks.

    So yes, take credit.

    ReplyDelete