Wednesday, February 9, 2011

For now.

I'm starting to feel like if I don't start committing some of the other awesome things that happened to writing that I run the risk of losing them, so here we go in a format that's not even going to pretend to be narrative.  This is not comprehensive, and I'll likely be back with more once I can form coherent thoughts.

Being in Famous Tracy's entourage
Fully expecting a rumble from Hodgman and his ilk during the Scrabble Royale, Tracy's entourage posse'd up in the lounge.  Luckily (for them!) his crew was reasonably well-mannered, and fisticuffs were avoided.  In truth, this ended up being one of the more surreal moments of the week.  "The Queen requires music," proclaimed the Hodgman, and off scampered Kevin Murphy and John Roderick to do his (my?) bidding.  As the game unfolded the duo became a trio, and cocktails were fetched.  At some point I realized that the crowd surrounding the game was 3 or 4 deep, with many of the entertainers observing from the fringes.  I expect a far better accounting of this epic challenge from Tracy's perspective (*nudge*), but as a hanger-on it was wonderfully weird.

The farewell party
At the end of the week, emotionally exhausted, I crashed at a table and had a really wonderful (but far too brief) conversation with Kim & Shawn.  I'm probably not the first person to say that Shawn is going to run the universe some day -- ridiculously smart, quick, and perceptive beyond the capacity of many her senior.  I usually approach younglings with trepidation, but I enjoyed each encounter, whether discussing sudoku strategies, people-watching, or planning a wedding .  Kim is divine, frank, hysterical, and all around good people (and gorgeous!).  Add in Dick, Diane, and Paul, and its inconceivable that one family should possess so much awesomeness.  Not getting to really talk to Rick is one of my very few regrets from the cruise, as I feel like I shortchanged myself on another component of the awesome.

Random snippets of conversation overheard
To me it felt like home, but I can only imagine what the other passengers thought when eavesdropping.


Cabanarama
If you'd guessed that the number of people we could fit into a cabana was 8, you'd be correct.  Depending on the day and time there was anywhere from one to eight crashed out poolside.  It was the perfect venue for me to take early morning conference calls without waking Nick, and to just slide into the day gently with some coffee.   There were days that I'd wander off and come back to find my legendarily awkward guy holding court with passersby or friends.  The drinking of the crown & scepter (and dipping into Schatzer's bottle of rum), accompanied by games, rum cake, and rum fudge (there's a theme here) was a simple and wonderful end to to the trip, in the company of the folks who put up with me all week.

Sound check
After standing in line for the second concert and having someone come fetch me with "they've been looking for you in there," I started coming to sound checkAt first it was in order to not have to be hunted down, and I learned that if I scooted into the theater on the balcony level about 20 mins before the show I could circumvent some of the bowing.   You were all such fabulous sports about respecting the crown that I sometimes felt guilty about my presence requiring people to stop their conversations or relinquish their comfy positions, so I'll admit to actively avoiding the show line.


But what started as a shirking of royal responsibility really ended up being one of the privileges of power that I most enjoyed.  I've always suspected that the camaraderie on stage between the various performers is real, and I got to see it firsthand when they weren't in a position of having to be 'on'.   While producers were valiantly trying to herd cats, performers were having fun and honestly enjoying each others company.   I had the esteemed position of bouncer in the Emperor's box a few nights which likely amused me far more than it amused the Emperor.   I met many of the performers during sound check who were terribly sporting, if not confused, about the lady in the booze hat.

A few of many necessary mentions
 To Peter Sagal, who Nick believes I scared the bejesus out of by gushing:  Sorry if I creeped you out -- I'll keep my enthusiasm a little more in check next time.

To Emperor Hodgman:  You, sir, are a gentleman and a class act.

To Paulofpaulandstorm:  Once more, for the public record...dude, wow.

To Molly23:  You never let on that there was anything strange about a commoner in a straw hat laden with rum hanging around.   You have a gift for putting people at ease when they're in your orbit.

Dammit Liz!:  You are a force with which to be reckoned, and watching you at your craft was a treat.  Congrats on the new gig, and we'll see you at c2e2.

To JoCo:  There is not enough gratitude for your brave leap into geek cruisery. 

To the rest of the entertainers who bowed, curtsied, and moved along before I had the opportunity to actually introduce myself:  Hi, I'm Aileen, and I'm a fan.

To the rest of the fans:  Geeks come in a huge array of sizes, shapes, colors, genders, and subcultures.  One of the things I have always appreciated most about geek culture is our natural tendency to be inclusive.  We understand what its like to be picked upon, singled out, and excluded, and we've collectively channeled that into being an accepting society.  We ask questions and encourage discussion to better understand other people's perspectives, rather than just rejecting them outright.  We understand that liking everyone is not mandatory, but being respectful is.  Be an example to the newer/younger geeks who are still confused about their place in the world -- let them know that its okay to be different, and encourage them to embrace & promote the same acceptance that veteran geeks have come to enjoy.  You're all brilliant in your own unique ways -- use that power for good. 


Never least
Nick:  You are so often the silent partner in our relationship, and I hope that no one confuses your quiet calm for lack of thought or opinion.   You handled the week, and me, with a level of grace and patience that made it seem like it was all easy for you.  There is no person with whom I would rather spend any week of my life, good or bad, and I'm so tickled that you feel the same way.  I am a lucky, lucky girl.

In closing...for now
I know my reign officially ended at around 9:00am on January 8th, and now that I think I've recorded many of my thoughts, I'm hanging up my empty crown with a wistful glance to the empty miniature rum bottle wired to my badge, which hangs in my office to my right.   I'll see you all next year, yes?

The Monarch is dead, long live the Monarch.
 

    3 comments:

    1. Very lovely. Thank you.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Maybe they'll have you crown the next monarch, Miss America style? (Something to fret about. I take it back.)

      ReplyDelete
    3. I somehow missed this post entirely! And now I've read it.

      Part of me is really reluctant to go into more detail about the Scrabble challenge than I already earlier in this blog. Part of it is that, really, a lot of it is a blur, when I was simultaneously trying to concentrate on how to win against John Hodgman, and also have a good time. And part of it is that every time I try to write things down about the cruise, it comes out as almost an index. I did a big brain-dump in the first few days after I got back, and it's like I'm reading a middle-school outline of a movie.

      ReplyDelete